Monday, September 26, 2011

Venting

So, weird though this this may be to you, if you're watching my children and you take them to visit a known sexual offender, whether he molested 5 year olds, raped 12 and 13 year olds, or sexually assaulted adults, I no longer think of you as a safe, reliable childcare provider.

Yeah, you'd think that would be a no-brainer, right? Especially if, say, he'd committed crimes against you or relatives or friends, or all three?

If you call yourself a feminist or a womens' or child advocate and welcome people of that caliber into your home and around children and/or adolescents, I probably think you are worse than a hypocrite and, honestly, have lost some respect for you. I will probably never take you seriously when you profess your beliefs on, well, anything. I don't care how long you've know them or if they are related to you. I don't care if you changed their diapers. I don't care about what you think of as their "good" qualities. I don't care that you will "make sure they aren't ever alone in a room with children." They don't belong in a room with children, period. In my opinion they don't belong in a world with children. They don't belong in a world with people.

And almost more than I despise you taking him in and letting him around children, my children, I am deeply hurt and offended that I am threatened, blatantly and subtly, with familial rebuke if I disclose this person's identity and crimes against children. You can continue to call it "peace-keeping" if that helps you feel better about it. I call it condoning his actions, and in this context I'd rather be a truth speaker than peace keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I don't understand protecting someone who hurt an innocent child in the name of keeping the peace. I only protect peaceful people.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate respectful comments, whether you agree or not with my views. I value diversity. However, please remember that this is my house, and I can tell you to leave. Anything I deem purely offensive, mean-spirited or disrespectful, with insufficient pertinent content value, will be deleted.